Thursday, September 3, 2015

Success to Success


Brian Williams
Assistant Principal
Hand Middle School
Twitter: @brwilliams15






The term “success” is used often times to describe a person who has completed a task or has finished a career or life of vast accomplishments. Success is always seen as a destination that we all want to reach one day. We set short term goals and long term goals, and when we reach those goals, we refer to ourselves as a “success.”  I was challenged to think of a successful life as a journey, and not simply a destination. The idea of a successful life being a journey or a process is an oxymoronic idea in nature. How can one be a success on the way to becoming successful? 

During a recent conversation with a former student, I was enlightened to the reality of what a “success” truly is.  A success, by my definition, is simply doing what you were placed on earth to do! There is a process that leads to that ultimate success, but are you not successful during the journey?  Success equals fulfillment.  Money or fortune fulfills no one completely, but a successful person understands the purpose of their existence.  Mark Twain said, “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why!” What a remarkable statement! The key to success is knowing exactly what you were created to do and doing it!

Seven years ago when I began my teaching career, I knew that I was fulfilling my purpose and reaching young people in a way that only I could. I felt contentment with my career; I could teach for 30 years and never get tired. There was a joy that accompanied going to work and seeing the eyes of my students light up when we were engaged in the learning process. Over time that feeling changed. I felt as if I was wrong for not feeling the joy and happiness I once felt in the classroom. I came to the realization that when seasons change, a discontentment takes place in our heart and it pushes us to greater things. That discontentment is what moves us from good to great, it is the driving force by which we journey from one season of joy to another. When there is more in us to do, we can’t stay where we are.

I am more than humbled to be a part of the Hand Middle School family. I am learning daily from the comradery and teamwork displayed at Hand Middle. I am exactly where I am supposed to be and I am looking forward to this journey from Success to Success!

2 comments:

  1. We are lucky to have you as a part of the Hand Family! Thank you for your inspirational words! Love Blue, Live Gold!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you even greater success here at Hand Middle.

    ReplyDelete